Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Mike Interviewing Jaclyn


http://soundcloud.com/mikew6890/sequence-1

Mike: So tell me about yourself?

Jaclyn: Tell me about….(chuckles and composure)

Mike: Where you come from? What’s your family like?

Jaclyn: Ok. Um.

Mike: Parents, Siblings, …

Jaclyn: Well um.. I was born at a Petersburg Hospital. Southside Regional and spent my first five years of life living in Chesterfield Virginia. Then my family: me, my mom, my dad at the time moved to Colonial Heights Virginia and they bought my dad’s parents house. So um, from that point on from year five to like the end of high school I lived in my Oma’s house, that’s what I call my dads grandma. So yeah then they bought a nice new expensive house in a rich neighborhood in Colonial Heights. I hated that house. They still live there now. It’s just not really like homey. I never felt at home in that house.

Mike: It’s kind of foreign to you now uh?

Jaclyn: Yeah. Definitely. I don’t feel, I feel I don’t really have a home right now cause I have been living in an apartment for the past 3-4 years and that’s really a temporary residence, you know.

Mike: Right.

Jaclyn: But more about my family. I have two little sisters, Madison and Tori. Madison is ten years old and Tori is twelve years old. So

Mike: They are both currently in middle school or…?

Jaclyn: Madison is in five grade this is her last year, she goes to Tussing Elementary School and Tori, this is her first year in middle school so she is in 6th grade. So

Mike: How is she enjoying that?

Jaclyn: I think she likes it. She does cheering, which is totally the opposite of what… like I hate cheerleaders..

Mike: Cheering

Jaclyn: Yeah

Mike: That’s pretty early to start in middle school isn’t it?


Jaclyn: Yeah so she’s like in 6th grade cheering squad. 

Mike: Is she thinking about doing that in high school or is it to early to tell?

Jaclyn: She really likes it so um she probably will.

Mike: What did your parents do? In terms of work?

Jaclyn: My dad is a police officer. He has been doing that his whole life. He’s done a lot of things on the police force. He was a detective, he was on the drug task force, he did you know street work. Right now he is doing a mixture of street work and deskwork.

Mike: Oh wow.!


Jaclyn: He’s a sergeant, so he’s like not the lowest of the low, but he’s not the head guy in charge, so.

Mike: That must be interesting as a role model for a father and I can’t imagine what that would be like?

Jaclyn: It was pretty difficult, I think growing up. I would never want my husband to be a police officer because I just, I remember what it was like as a child kind of growing up with that. It was good and it was bad because I had to like watch my back and like never step out of line. Really as a child and as a teenager and I guess that affected my personality now. I don’t, I’m not too crazy.


Mike: In terms of that being an occupation and him being a parent did that kind of show through his parenting?

Jaclyn: Yeah definitely.

Mike: He interrogate you very much?

Jaclyn: Uh.. yeah a little bit, but he was just disciplined, a disciplined father. And my mom, she is a schoolteacher. She has always been a schoolteacher. She teaches K through 3 and reading for kids that need help, though with reading. 


Mike: Now those are completely drastic, two different sides. So in terms of education who helped you most? Your mom?

Jaclyn: Um, that’s hard to say. I think my mom with reading and stuff, but my poor subjects were math and like spelling and still are. My dad would like, since I hated it so much, my mom couldn’t take teaching me. So um, he would like get me to do it and like I would have to show him my homework and that kind of thing. So he would do the hard subjects with me.

Mike: So being born in Petersburg as you said and have been moved around to Colonial Heights, what as your childhood like?


Jaclyn: Well Petersburg was next to Colonial Heights so it’s pretty much the same place. It’s like where everyone goes to on Friday for the arts thing. Everyone goes to downtown old town Petersburg and hangs out there with all the cool restaurants, galleries, and stuff like that and its like right over the bridge from Colonial Heights so its pretty much right next to Colonial Heights. I never use to, use to get my hair cut I remember as a child in Petersburg because it was like really nice and up scale and my parents had money because they didn’t have, I was the only child at the time and um, but I never really like experienced Petersburg until like um the end of high school and going to college there. But it’s a really cool town and I wish I had like hung out there more.

Mike: I catch ya.

Jaclyn: Yeah

Mike: And so…Are you married or single?

Jaclyn: I’m married. You know that. (laughter)

Mike: I’m trying to act like I don’t.

Jaclyn: Um yeah. So, October 22nd is our Anniversary date so it’s coming up on a year now and my husband

Mike: So it was 2011?

Jaclyn: Yup, um my husbands name is Josh, Joshua Keith Brown. He’s a cute guy. What do you want to know?

Mike: What does he do?

Jaclyn: Right now he is working at Wells Fargo as a teller and he’s currently applying to teaching positions. He got his degree in history from VCU a couple, a year ago and a year and half ago, something like that. So he’s just been like working and he really has got the motivation recently to actually this is it I got to apply for jobs to get the job, you know.

Mike: Right


Jaclyn: So he really wants to be like a high school history teacher and so he’s just been applying.

Mike: I thought it was interesting how you said he is a history major and he wants to do teaching but he is doing the middle step in terms of being a bank teller.

Jaclyn: Yeah he really…

Mike: I always pictured him as a kind of like in office building. He appears that way.

Jaclyn: He worked actually at a office building type thing called retail data, but he had a horrible boss and so he left there. It was making him same amount at his teller job so he’s better off there now. He’s really good with kids and he’s really good at learning information, especially history and math. Like he helped me with math all the way through community college because I like really struggled with that. So…yeah.

Mike: You talked about community college. In terms of your education, I guess, what high school and then from high school why did you go to community college and then decide to come here?

Jaclyn: That’s a good question. So as of high school senior I was really involved with everything. I was captain of the soccer team, captain of the field hockey team, I ran track, I played travel soccer, I was, u know art club president, I was national art society historian or something of that sort. So I was doing so many things that’s not even everything and I was constantly told I always need to have stuff on your resume like to get into college and stuff like that. So I was like good at art and I knew that I want to go to VCU, well I was actually debating between Liberty University, its like that Christian college in Lynchburg I knew a lot of people that were there and I had been there a couple of times and it was nice but I was really interested in art. I wasn’t sure exactly what area in art I wanted to go into so I just put something like graphic design down or interior design and my high school was very very small there was like a hundred and fifty, a hundred and seventy five students in my senior high class. So high school was small and we didn’t have any art classes besides like the regular normal art class. We didn’t have photography, we didn’t have design, and we didn’t have anything. So I just put something down and I was thing I was interested in design, applied to VCU, did not get in, so I was like what am I going to do, should I go to Liberty I was accepted to Liberty, but it was a lot a lot of money. My dad was like really against that and was like well if you go to community college for two years im going to pay for that and then I’ll pay for the rest of your college because my parents did the Virginia 529 savings plan. So um that like helped them out finically. So yeah I went to Richard Blan and then I guess I can just tell you the rest. I went to Richard Blan, stayed there two years, applied to VCU and I didn’t get into VCU for the second time. Well they said I was accepted into the college, but not

Mike: Not the arts program

Jaclyn: Right, yeah

Jaclyn: So I was really really upset because I knew I was good enough by then like I had a really good portfolio at that level and so I went up to Tracie Taylor’s office at the Photography and Film floor at VCU and I asked her like I need to know why I didn’t get in so she dragged me into her office, and she was like first off never put a cat in your portfolio. I was like I didn’t have a cat in my portfolio. So she was like, “What that’s crazy.??” So we found my correct portfolio thati had sent in and she was like well your pretty good, um we are probably going to have to accept you. So I pretty much got on the spot, except in some of her after I went through that.

Mike: So with your determination, you went in and sought out somebody and helped you get in.




No comments:

Post a Comment